- Import Poison_Pot or any other mesh to Unity.
- Select your mesh in the Project tab:
- In the Inspector - Model tab, you will see an option called Normals, change it to Calculate:
- Set Smoothing Angle to 0 and press Apply:
All of the mesh edges became Sharp (flat shaded):
- If you will set Smoothing Angle to 180 – all of the edges will be Smooth (smooth shaded):
Using Smoothing Angle we can control which edges will be Smooth and which will be Sharp.
Smoothing Angle – maximum angle between Face Normals that will be considered as Smooth:
For example, if we set Smoothing Angle to 60 – all of the Faces that are at a 60-degree angle or less, now are Smooth (smooth shaded).
And Faces that are at a 61-degree angle or more, are Sharp (flat shaded).
Here is the same Poison_Pot with a Smooth Angle set to 60:
You can see that at the top those sharp 90-degree angle faces are flat shaded and the rest of the mesh is smooth shaded.